Final Reflection

In the past three weeks we have been a whirlwind of yoga, meditation, temple visits, and crazy good Indian food. We were taught a mindful practice, through which we learned that there are always ways to better improve our minds and bodies. In doing all of this I have become more aware of who I am, and want to try to continue to become a happier, more well-rounded person through what I have learned in this J-Term.

Our second day was one of my favorites out of the entire J- Term. We visited the Hindu Temple in Stafford, Texas called BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir. There we learned a lot about the history of Hinduism as we explored the grounds, where the temple, a museum, and a restaurant abided. We all wandered through the Hindu mesume, taking pictures of what we thought was interesting, and reading about the history of Hinduism. It made me realize how vital the religion of Hinduism has been to the world, especially when it comes to scientific discoveries. This day was especially important, because we had the opportunity to explore the temple, and we were also able to participate in a worshiping ritual where the monks came out and music played. I was really amazed by the architecture of the building, and the sense of quiet that inhabited the building. Participating in the ceremony made me realize that Hinduism drew lines between male and females, and inspired me to write my final paper on “Sexism in Hinduism.” I have found in the past weeks, that I really enjoy studying different religions. Through visiting the different temples, and researching on my own all of the different traditions that came from India, it made me understand how little I know of other people’s way of life. For the longest time I was really stressed about what I was going to major in when I went to college. These past couple of weeks made me think of pursuing a career in religious studies, to further satisfy my want for the understanding of the community around me, that typically my eyes would not be opened to.
Our group at the BAPS temple. 
On the second week we learned and mainly studied about Metta meditation and Zen Buddhism. We went to the Houston Zen Center where we meditated, practiced mindful eating, and used difference tools that are used in traditional meditation practices. Another big event we participated in was Tai-Chi. This was a very new experience for most people and actually quite difficult. Interacting with new people, things, and viewpoints is so cool and is a great take away from this week. We learned about how to love yourself and how to handle certain types of stress. This is what I and many others will take away from this week and the way to prevent stressful situations from happening.

Yoga also played a big part of my growth in the past three weeks. Outside of school I was doing a thirty day challenge at my yoga studio where I practiced. I have done yoga everyday for the past month, and in taking this class I was also taking a yoga class at school. Taking two classes a day was really stressful for me at times. Making it to a class after school, when I had already taken one just an hour before was a big challenge for me. But through doing this, I feel like I pushed past a mental barrier that I previously hadn’t noticed. This change was really important to me, as it made me realize the importance of dedication and perseverance in a situation that is challenging. Through both of these classes I was able to get a much more broad aspect on life. When I was doing yoga with Hope, it was all about slowing down my breath and making sure I was mindful in the moment. My personal practice is very different from that- I like poses, and fast flows, and I really enjoy that the yoga that I do is heated. My favourite thing was to come out of the hot room to the cold that January offers, it’s the most refreshing feeling. I’m really grateful to have experienced both sides of what yoga has to offer, and I’m glad to see how my practice has changed as a result.
Emily and I at Black Swan Yoga.
My favorite afternoon classes!



Practicing forearm balances with Hope. 
Zoe at Hope's yoga studio. 






This course focused a lot on how to deal with stress. I’m glad to have learned the coping skill that I need to use when I am feeling anxious. Meditation was one of the hardest things for me, as I always like to be moving. But in practicing meditation everyday, I was able to find stillness in my mind. The past three weeks helped me to engage in a personal with myself, and help me push past some of the anxiety I had been having about the future. Who knows- maybe now I'll be a yoga teacher or study religion!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buddhism and Chung Mei Temple

Mindfulness, Meditation, and BAPS Hindu Temple